Thursday, January 28, 2010

Welcome iPad!

Yesterday, January 27th, Apple finally launched their iPad. I say finally, because rumors started already more than a year and a half ago. Around november 2009 it was clear that the iPad would be launched around January 2010, but no final information was available.

I must say that the size, design, performance and prize are amazing. Really thin, like a 10 inches iphone and starting at a price of $499, the same price as a modern Netbook but with full resolution screen.

The truth? I'm quite disappointed. Why? First of all, it's running a locked down system, same as the iPhone and iPod, which means you can only run applications purchased from the apple store. You don't have access to the base system.

Second, it doesn't have a built-in Webcam. It means no video conference.

On the other hand, having around an Internet Pad which can last over 10 hours of continuos use and over 30 days of standby, could be handy, when you don't want to go to your computer to check few web pages.

I think there is still a chance for other companies willing to launch their own Pad computer to be succesfull, but their product will need to at least match the iPad specification and design. It will not be an easy task because usually the Windows Operating is really slow and cannot give you a smooth feeling. Moreover Apple, for this device, developed their own Processor (CPU).

One last thing is worth mentioning. There will be some applications to prepare presentations (like powerpoint, but the apple version) that will make it really easy to work with, especially on the go. Unfortunately, the software - called iWorks - is only available for Apple Computers. So once prepared, cannot be transfered and run on a Windows PC.

As for myself, at this moment, i'm still happy with my iPod and Kindle device for my ebooks. I think I will pass on this one, but still worth trying :) but who knows..i might change my mind later ;)

No comments: